Post-Madrid Perspective

Not until leaving our final reception with the descendants of the exiles of the war, did I realize how special the work that we are doing really is. While speaking to one of the descendants, my attention was brought to the fact that students our age don’t learn about the Spanish Civil War at school and they don’t possess the knowledge which we have about the war’s circumstances, results and influence on the present. The descendant pointed out to my classmate and I that it is different for us to study and research the war, because we have an objective perspective and that which we are studying has not directly affected our lives in any way. She also pointed out that while we do study our American Civil War, it happened a very long time ago and the Spanish Civil War is very recent in comparison.

Another descendant was extremely curious about why we study Hispanic Studies and particularly, why the Spanish Civil War. While here at William and Mary, where doing research is perhaps as prevalent as going to class and Hispanic Studies is just another major, I never realized that from the perspective of a spaniard, nonetheless one who had to leave Spain for France or Mexico during the war with their exiled parents, what we are doing is unheard of.

Now, back in Williamsburg, I feel more than ever that we have a duty to share all that we have collected over the past week, not only with our fellow Hispanic Studies majors, but anyone who is interested in Spanish culture and I feel our website will be an extremely valuable resource in stimulating interest in the Spanish Civil War.