Guernica – Summary

0102085656800.jpg 6a00d834515c2769e200e54f465d838834-640wi.jpg72 years ago today, on April 26, 1937, the Nazi Condor Legion bombed the small basque town of Guernica. Days later, Picasso, who was commissioned to create a piece to represent Spain for the 1937 Paris World’s Fair, began the creation of what would become an icon for the Spanish Civil War.While in Madrid, my main focus was to capture how the Spanish Civil War is being represented through exhibitions.I wanted to experience how such a tragic, tense subject like the Spanish Civil War, could be properly recognized and respected through the means of an exhibition. On our first day in Madrid we visited the Reina Sofia Museum of Art, Madrid’s prominent contemporary fine arts museum, which houses Picasso’s masterpiece, Guernica. While it was not my first time seeing Guernica, it was a very meaningful experience to view the painting in the context of my studies on the Spanish Civil War and being in Madrid, seventy years after the events. As our trip ensued, Guernica became for me so much more than a highlight of Spanish art history.On our visit to the Almudena Cemetery, We saw the communal grave site of soldiers from the Condor Legion, the group responsible for bombing the town of Guernica. On another visit to the organization CSIC, we saw a presentation on Carabanchel, a well-known prison during Franco’s regime which was recently demolished. The presentation featured a lot of graffiti that came to cover the prison once it had been shut down, and there was a graffiti replica of Guernica.These experiences in Madrid and the way that Guernica was a common thread throughout our trip and further research I have since done, has made me realize how important an icon of the war Guernica is.